7/14/2008

Quiet Today

If I seem quiet today,
know that it’s not from a lack
of things to say.

In the tangled tornado
my mind twists thoughts upon themselves
But
my eyes are calm

Empty air.
I’m staring into space,
wondering

Which words would work first? How much of an intro would my tales need prior to being told? Can I jump right in or would this unwilling audience cringe if I began to unravel the thread and weave the thoughts into an organized grid before draping it upon myself and commenting how well this story fits my life. Which words would work first? Which story says more? Can I mention the attention to detail I spent years ago on a project you didn’t know about just because it’s been on my mind? Or would that connection be too hard to find justifiable to you, my audience of one? Can I ramble reasons and mention seasonal friends who fell away every autumn? Can I show you an image and trust the thousand words you’ve heard from it would be the same as the absurd within my experience that I can’t quite speak of? Do I have your permission to be heard? May I speak about the week, weekend, and lost friends who’ve been getting confused in my dreams? Can I share a surreal fantasy or would that all just be a bit too much?
And if I may speak
Which words would work first?

I don’t mean to seem quiet today
But I don’t know what I can say
And I wonder if I speak,
Which words should go first?

No comments: