9/24/2008

No Poetic Language

Beautiful adjectives generously piled upon delicate nouns, surrounded by adverbs, with the hint of an unknown subject, overwhelmed by the weighty verbs and all about to be swept under the rug.

I do not have the patience for poetic language.
If I am to say what I mean, then I should speak with the words closest to my conscious. Those simple short phases, the briefest cliches that were easily ingrained to my childlike mind. And I’m sure if I thought long and hard I could find an acute adverb that would accurately say the same thought in a much more eloquent sounding way that people would hear and say, “I need a dictionary to understand her.” And upon finding the word in the dictionary they would understand my point so well, they would see that I had none. And not only did I not have a point, I wasted their time by saying it so beautifully that they felt the need to decipher the most eloquently coded crap. I do not have time for such deception I would much rather ramble on using the plainest of language, the lamest types of slang, and the sort of grammar that makes sense when spoken, but looks atrocious on paper. However if you read my words out loud my voice is easily recognizable in the rambling run-ons with inadvertent rhymes and the sort of questions that are a waste of time to think about.

So you may keep your eloquent prose, touch your nose with your finger, and pretend to be a sober singer. Worry about the meter and rhyme, symbolism and crime, and I shall be busy writing honest non sequiturs so simple that 4 year olds could understand them, but original enough that no one else can stand them.

No comments: