10/30/2008

Night Fall

Nightfall
Knights fall
On fall nights
I’m a fallen knight
And I cannot fight anymore.

This metaphor spins in my mind, but I’m standing still in the midst of a dance floor wondering if there’s more to this tale. I appear to be dancing as the trance music makes those around me sway and jostle me in and out of reality. But my feet are planted. My arms are bare like branches on a banyan tree, hanging loose beside me, hopefully they’ll soon ground me. And the music beats upon my thoughts and silences my thoughts leaving me with an empty sense of joy. Or is it pain? They feel the same. The door opens as more enter the dance floor and a wave of cold air washes over me, I can’t tell if I’m refreshed and cool or a shivering fool. Perhaps it’s all the same. It’s all the same. It’s all the same to her. The nights with knights in shining armor who’ll take her away and dump her astray, never going out of their way to slay her demons. But she’ll see them. And as night falls, knights fall into fantasy with the way that maiden sings in her sleep. And on fall nights, I’m a fallen knight, and I cannot fight for her anymore. So I lose my way till day break, fake excuses and socialize with recluses until I see a familiar face. Dawn never looked so good.


(Words, Letters, Poetry Slammers freewrite.
The prompt for this was to write a poem using the idea of Night and Fall... )

No comments: